Power BI is a collection of software services, apps, and connectors that work together to turn your unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights. Your data may be an Excel spreadsheet, or a collection of cloud-based and on-premises hybrid data warehouses. Power BI lets you easily connect to your data sources, visualize and discover what’s important, and share that with anyone or everyone you want.
The free Power BI Desktop tool can get and model data from almost anywhere using the same Power Query and Power Pivot tools many Excel users will be familiar with. Then quickly create impressive interactive reports using the sophisticated charting and visualisation gallery. You can even embed Excel charts, tables, PivotTables and dashboards in your Power BI dashboards using the free Power BI Publisher add-in for Excel.
You want to analyze data from single or multiple sources? You want to create your individual dataset based on these sources and transform your results into beautiful and easy-to-make visualizations? Moreover, you want to share your results with your colleagues or collaborate on your project? Finally, you want to be able to access your data from multiple devices? Then the Power BI tools are the tools to choose for you.
Who should attend?
- People who never worked with Power BI and who want to understand how to use these tools
- Anyone who is interested in learning how to connect the different Power BI tools with each other
- People who want to understand how to create customized visuals with the Power BI Developer tools
- No prior Power BI or BI experience required
- Windows 7 onward so you can install the Power BI Desktop application
- Basic understanding of data analysis is a plus but not required
What you will learn:
- Get to know the different tools of the Power BI universe and learn how to use them
- Understand Power BI Desktop and its components
- Learn how to use the Query Editor to connect Power BI to various source types, how to work on the Data Model and understand the difference between those two steps
- How to work in the different views of the Data Model
- How to create calculated columns and measures
- How to build relationships between different tables
- How to create a report with different interactive visualization types
- Learn how to use Power BI service to create dashboards and to share and publish your results
- How to access your results from multiple devices using Power BI Mobile
Quick Start Power BI Service
- Get Power BI Tools
- Introduction to Tools and Terminology
- Dashboard in Minutes
- Refreshing Power BI Service Data
- Interacting with your Dashboards
- Sharing Dashboards and Reports
Getting and Transforming Data with Power BI Desktop
- Introduction to Power BI Desktop
- Getting Data: Excel vs Power BI Desktop & Service
- Data Structure for Q&A
- Direct Query vs Import Data
Modeling with Power BI
- Introduction to Modeling
- Setup and Manage Relationships
- Cardinality and Cross Filtering
- Default Summarization & Sort by
- Creating Calculated Columns
Power BI Desktop Visualisations
- Creating Visualisations
- Color Formatting
- Setting Sort Order
- Scatter & Bubble Charts & Play Axis
- Slicers, Timeline Slicers & Sync Slicers
- Cross Filtering and Highlighting
- Visual, Page and Report Level Filters
- Drill Down/Up and Hierarchies
- Reference/Constant Lines
- Tables, Matrices & Conditional Formatting
- KPI’s, Cards & Gauges
- Map Visualizations
- Custom Visuals
- Managing and Arranging
- Custom Report Themes
- Grouping and Binning
- Selection Pane, Bookmarks & Buttons
Power BI Service Visualisation Tools
- Standalone Tiles
- Data Driven Alerts
- Quick and Related Insights
Publishing and Sharing
- Sharing Options Overview
- Publish from Power BI Desktop
- Publish to Web
- Share Dashboard with Power BI Service
- Workspaces and Apps (Power BI Pro)
- Content Packs (Power BI Pro)
- Print or Save as PDF
- Row Level Security (Power BI Pro)
- Export Data from a Visualization
- Publishing for Mobile Apps
- Export to PowerPoint
- Understanding Data Refresh
- Personal Gateway (Power BI Pro and 64-bit Windows)
- Replacing a Dataset
- Troubleshooting Refreshing
Power BI and Excel Together
- Options for Publishing from Excel
- Pin Excel Elements to Power BI
- Connect to Data using Power BI Publisher/Analyze in Excel
- Excel 2016 Publish: Upload and Export to Power BI
- Sharing Published Excel Dashboards
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprise of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure