Online Training Course in ODK
Course Name: Mobile Data Collection Using ODK
Delivery Mode: E-learning (Online/Web-based/Self-paced)
Course Duration: 5 hrs
Course Price: USD 300 or KSH 30,000
Registration Link: https://tinyurl.com/y88n4qcf
Who should take this course?
This course is for anyone who wishes to learn how to collect, manage and analyze data using mobile devices.
About the instructors
The instructors are a seasoned ODK implementer with a background in software development.
About this course
In the past, data collection was performed using paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
One of the commonly used tools is ODK (Open Data Kit). Open Data Kit has been used to observe elections, monitor rainforests, track outbreaks, conduct one-off surveys, rapid assessments, baseline studies, project mid-term evaluation, project end-term evaluation, market research, during and directly following disasters and in many other cases.
This course is a hands-on, step by step guide that will teach learners how to setup, administer and manage a mobile based data collection platform using ODK.
What can you do in ODK?
- Build/digitize a data collection form/questionnaire/ survey using ODK Build or MS Excel XLSForms syntax (XLSForms is recommended for larger forms)
- Collect data offline on a mobile device and send it to a cloud server.
- Visualize, map and analyze data online
- Aggregate the collected data on a server and extract it in useful formats for analysis
This online training course in Mobile Data Collection using Open Data Kit (ODK) will teach learners how to:
- Build/design forms (Digitize questionnaires) in ODK Build and in Microsoft Excel (XLSForm syntax)
- Check for xlsform syntax errors, validate forms and convert xlsform to XForm
- Setup a free sub-domain on Free DNS
- Setup an account on Digital Ocean
- Setup ODK Aggregate server on Digital Ocean
- Collect data offline on mobile devices using ODK Collect.
- Upload and aggregate collected data in a cloud server
- Visualize, manage, analyze and map data online
- Download data from the cloud server for further analysis
How and where has ODK been used?
ODK has been used to:
- Observe elections
- Monitor rainforests
- Track outbreaks
- Conduct one-off surveys
- Conduct rapid assessments
- Conduct baseline studies
- Project mid-term evaluation
- Project end-term evaluation
- Market research
- Monitor and manage disasters in Haiti and in many other cases
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Digitize any paper based questionnaire to an ODK compatible format using MS Excel and ODK Build
- Setup a free sub-domain on Free DNS
- Setup and operate an account in Digital Ocean VPS
- Setup and operate an ODK aggregate server in Digital Ocean
- Setup ODK Collect and collect data offline on mobile devices
- Upload data to a cloud based ODK Aggregate server
- Analyse, visualize and map data online on ODK aggregate
- Download data from ODK aggregate using ODK Briefcase for further analysis using software such as MS. Excel, Stata, SPSS, R etc
- Intermediate computing skills
- No programming skills required
- A mobile device running Android OS
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Excel
- Access to the internet
- Proficiency in English
- Introduction to mobile data collection
- Advanced survey digitization in MS Excel using the XLSForms syntax
- Free DNS sub-domain setup
- Digital Ocean setup
- ODK aggregate installation on Digital Ocean
- Enabling https
- ODK Aggregate administration
- ODK Collect setup on mobile device
- Offline mobile data collection
- Data visualization, analysis and mapping on Aggregate server
- Export data for analysis using ODK Briefcase
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
Virtual support is available anytime on request.
You can also view our Online Training Course in Mobile Data Collection Using KoBoToolbox here.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947