Course preview video
Course Name: Mobile Data Collection Using KoBoToolbox
Delivery Mode: E-learning (Online/Web-based/Self-paced)
Course Duration: 5 hrs
Course Price: USD 300 or KSH 30,000
Registration Link: View course to Enroll
Who should take this course
This is a hands-on course for anyone who wishes to learn how to set up a mobile-based system to collect, manage, analyze, and map data using KoBoToolbox.
About the instructor
The instructors are seasoned ODK, KoBoToolbox, Ona, SurveyCTO, CSPro, and other mobile data collection solutions implementers. Other than training the instructors work as mobile and web-based systems developers.
About this course
In the past, data collection was performed using paper and pen, which made it prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allow users to create surveys, collect, manage, and upload data to storage facilities in real-time have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
One of the commonly used tools is KoBoToolbox. KoBoToolbox has been used to observe elections, monitor rainforests, track outbreaks, conduct one-off surveys, rapid assessments, baseline studies, project mid-term evaluation, project end-term evaluation, market research, during and directly following disasters, and in many other cases.
This course is a hands-on, step by step guide that will teach learners how to setup, administer and manage a mobile-based data collection platform using KoBoToolbox
What is KoBoToolbox
KoBoToolbox is a suite of free and open-source tools for field data collection using mobile devices for use in challenging environments. Most KoBoToolbox users are people working in humanitarian crises, as well as aid professionals and researchers working in developing countries.
What can you do with KoBoToolbox
- Build complex forms with skip logic and validation using KoBoToolbox Form Builder or XLSForm (XLSForm is recommended for larger forms)
- Collect data offline on a mobile device and send it to a cloud server.
- Collect data using any mobile devices via the webforms
- Map data
- Visualize, manage and analyze data
- Store collected data on a server and extract it into useful formats for analysis
- Export data for analysis
This online training course in Mobile Data Collection using KoBoToolbox will teach learners to:
- Build/design complex forms with skip logic and validation in KoBoToolbox Form Builder and in Microsoft Excel (XLSForms syntax)
- Easily share projects with colleagues
- Design, Import, and export XLSForms
- Collect data online/offline on mobile devices or on any browser
- Create summary reports with graphs and tables
- Visualize collected data on a map
- Disaggregate data in reports and maps
- Export data for analysis
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Setup an account in KoBoToolbox
- Digitize any complex questionnaire to a digital form that can be used for the data collection on mobile devices and on browsers.
- Visualize, manage, and analyze data in KoBoToolbox.
- Map data in KoBoToolbox.
- Collect data on mobile devices and browsers
- Extract/Export data from KoBoToolbox for analysis.
- Basic computing skills
- A mobile device running Android OS
- Knowledge in Microsoft Excel
- Access to the internet
- Proficiency in English
- KoBoToolbox Setup and architecture
- Course project questionnaire overview
- KoBoToolbox home interface overview
- Getting started – Sign up (Create an account in KoBoToolbox)
- Overview of the KoBoToolbox user interface
- Creating our first project and data types
- Introduction to the KoBo Toolbox Form Builder – Getting started with simple questions
- Installing KoBoCollect – Download and install KoBoCollect on mobile devices
- Deploying forms for data collection
- Collecting data on mobile devices – Collect data and send to the server
- A preview of the collected data (A view of our data in the server)
- Editing a deployed project – Cloning a project
- Single-select questions, multiple-select questions, group questions
- Rich and multimedia data (calculate, GPS, photo, audio, video, decimal)
- Advanced Survey Authoring (Skip pattern, specify other, required, referencing, note)
- Advanced Survey Authoring cont’ (repeat, Validation, validation message, skip pattern, specify, groups)
- Collecting Data on Mobile Devices
- Reviewing tool and deploying for data collection (Edit and deploy)
- Editing and Exporting Data (Reports, tables, maps, media files, export data, approve submissions)
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947