This VBA Programming for Excel 2016/2013 training course is designed to give experienced Excel users proficiency in creating procedures that run in response to specific events, working with control structures, developing user forms to accept or display data, validating the data entry in user forms, and debugging and handling errors in code.
Participants actively learn through a series of practical simulations which ensures that they maximize their learning and can use the tools immediately when they return to the office. In addition to the practical component, all participants also receive a manual describing all the techniques learned.
Who should attend?
This training course is ideal for Advanced Microsoft Excel professionals who need to automate Excel spreadsheet tasks using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). Participants will need to have attended or be familiar with the basics of Microsoft Excel.
This course is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
- Protect a workbook and save with a backup
- Work with variables and understand data types
- Understand objects, properties, methods, and events
- Explore the Excel object hierarchy and use the Object Browser
- Work with control-of-flow structures
- Use intrinsic functions
- Create sub and function procedures
- Design User Forms and work with controls
- Control PivotTables programmatically
- Use debugging tools
- Add error handling to code
Topics to be covered
- Introducing Visual Basic for Applications
- Displaying the Developer Tab in the Ribbon
- Recording a Macro
- Saving a Macro-Enabled Workbook
- Running a Macro
- Editing a Macro in the Visual Basic Editor
- Understanding the Development Environment
- Using Visual Basic Help
- Closing the Visual Basic Editor
- Understanding Macro Security
Working with Procedures and Functions
- Understanding Modules
- Creating a Standard Module
- Understanding Procedures
- Creating a Sub Procedure
- Calling Procedures
- Using the Immediate Window to Call Procedures
- Creating a Function Procedure
- Naming Procedures
- Working with the Code Editor
- Understanding Objects
- Navigating the Excel Object Hierarchy
- Understanding Collections
- Using the Object Browser
- Working with Properties
- Using the With Statement
- Working with Methods
- Creating an Event Procedure
Using Expressions, Variables, and Intrinsic Functions
- Understanding Expressions and Statements
- Declaring Variables
- Understanding Data Types
- Working with Variable Scope
- Using Intrinsic Functions
- Understanding Constants
- Using Intrinsic Constants
- Using Message Boxes
- Using Input Boxes
- Declaring and Using Object Variables
Controlling Program Execution
- Understanding Control-of-Flow Structures
- Working with Boolean Expressions
- Using the If…End If Decision Structures
- Using the Select Case…End Select Structure
- Using the Do…Loop Structure
- Using the For…To…Next Structure
- Using the For Each…Next Structure
- Guidelines for use of Control-of-Flow Structures
Working with Forms and Controls
- Understanding UserForms
- Using the Toolbox
- Working with UserForm Properties, Events, and Methods
- Understanding Controls
- Setting Control Properties in the Properties Window
- Working with the Label Control
- Working with the Text Box Control
- Working with the Command Button Control
- Working with the Combo Box Control
- Working with the Frame Control
- Working with Option Button Controls
- Working with Control Appearance
- Setting the Tab Order
- Populating a Control
- Adding Code to Controls
- Launching a Form in Code
Working with the PivotTable Object
- Understanding PivotTables
- Creating a PivotTable Using Worksheet Data
- Working with the PivotTable Objects
- Working with the PivotFields Collection
- Assigning a Macro to the Quick Access Toolbar
- Understanding Errors
- Using Debugging Tools
- Setting Breakpoints
- Stepping through Code
- Using Break Mode during Run mode
- Determining the Value of Expressions
- Understanding Error Handling
- Understanding VBA’s Error Trapping Options
- Trapping Errors with the On Error Statement
- Understanding the Err Object
- Writing an Error-Handling Routine
- Working with Inline Error Handling
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprise of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own datasets and tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 45,000.00 or USD 660.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to [email protected]
Payment for the all courses includes a registration fee, which is non-refundable, and equals 15% of the total sum of the course fee.
- Participants may cancel attendance 14 days or more prior to the training commencement date.
- No refunds will be made 14 days or less to the training commencement date. However, participants who are unable to attend may opt to attend a similar training at a later date, or send a substitute participant provided the participation criteria have been met
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.