Mobile Data Collection using MagPi
Magpi is a set of tools that are used for field data collection using android mobile phones (Devices) and allows data submission to an online or cloud server. These tools include Magpi Form Builder, Magpi web-based server system, Magpi SMS for sms data collection, Magpi IVR (Interactive Voice Response) for deploying forms as interactive voice phone calls and Magpi Plus, a mobile app for field data collection using smartphones.
Magpi’s major advancement on mobile data collection is its ability to collect data using any phone device – not only Smartphones. This is made possible by the Magpi SMS data collection that supports all types of phone devices.
Other commonly used mobile data collection tools include ODK ecosystem, KoboToolbox, CSPro for android (CS Entry), Ona, fulcrum, mobenzi, visitbasis, dimagi, zapier amongst many others.
This training course will teach learners how to author surveys, field mobile data collection applications, and submit data to Magpi’s online server. Other mobile data collection tools will also be mentioned within the course.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage, visualize and analyze project field data using mobile phones and devices, this training course is for you.
Data collection has always been an integral part of development work. In the past, these tasks were performed with paper and pen, which made them prone to error, difficult to conduct on a large scale, and high in transaction costs.
ICT tools such as mobile devices and software that allows users to create surveys, collect, manage and upload data to storage facilities in real-time, have reduced the conventional challenges associated with remote data collection.
If you have always wanted to learn how to collect, manage and analyze project data using mobile devices, this training course is for you. This training course also comes with an additional GIS module to help participants put the skills acquired into perspective. The GIS module will help participants work with spatial data.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for people who want to learn how to:
- Apply best practices in mobile data collection setup and administration
- Setup a Magpi account
- Author/Digitize surveys using Magpi
- Setup, manage and administer a mobile data collection system using Magpi
- Collect data on Mobile devices using Magpi Plus
- Collect data using SMS service
- Collect data using IVR (Interactive Voice Response)
- Use Magpi messaging tool
- Manage external enumerators
- Collect Geo data and generate mapped data
- Manage, visualize and analyze data on the Magpi platform
- Learn about other similar mobile data collection tools and technologies
This training is designed for participants who are reasonably proficient in English and have an understanding of basic ICT concepts.
The course will teach leaners how to implement a mobile data collection using Magpi.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to setup, implement, manage and administer a mobile data collection application using the Magpi platform and generate maps using the collected data. Additionally, learners will be exposed to other available mobile data collection platforms.
Introduction to the course
- ICT refresher
- Introduction to mobile data collection systems architecture.
- Introduction to common mobile based data collection tools, techniques and platform.
- Benefits of mobile data collection.
- Challenges of Mobile Based Data Collection.
- Best Practices.
- Creating a Magpi account and account validation
- Creating a new survey form
- Question (data) types in Magpi
- Adding questions to your form
- Multiple choice questions
- Cascading(filtered) multiple choice questions
- Adding skip logic
- Making a question required
- Mapping and Geodata in Magpi
- Exporting form description
- Previewing form
- Copying a form
- Inserting one form into another
- Upload and message credits
- Messaging with Magpi
Magpi plus app configuration and usage
- Installing the mobile app (smart-phones)
- Retrieving forms from the magpi platform
- Filling and submitting the forms
- Sharing forms
- via email(for users of the mobile and web app)
- via sms
- Viewing the collected data
SMS Data Collection using Magpi (any mobile device) – Paid service
- Intro to SMS data collection
- Creating an interactive SMS form
- Deploying the interactive SMS form
- Creating an structured SMS form
- Deploying the structured SMS form
- Troubleshooting/Debugging SMS issues
- Interactive SMS (iSMS) local gateway setup – Ushahidi’s SMS sync app
- Structured SMS local gateway setup
IVR Data collection using Magpi – Paid service
- Intro to Interactive Voice Recognition
- Creating an IVR form
- Deploying the IVR form
Reports and analysis
- Report capabilities by user subscription level
- Magpi report elements
- Creating/Viewing the standard report
- Data filtering on your report
- Embedding Google Sheet Graph and other external items into Magpi Reports using iframes
- Adding maps to Magpi report
Integrating Magpi with other systems
- Magpi inbound API
- Magpi outbound API
- Using Magpi with Zapier
- Magpi-to-DHIS2 integration using OpenFn
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprise of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professionals and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with a certificate of participation.
The training is residential and will be held at T4D Training Centre in Westlands Nairobi, Kenya. The course fees cover the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
We can also tailor-make our courses for you. This way, you/your organization will benefit by:
- Using own tools during the training
- Being able to choose areas of interest you wish the trainer to put more emphasis on
- Taking the course in-house or at a venue of choice
- Cutting on the cost of transport and accommodation
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Mobile: +254 706909947
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mobile Number: +254 706909947
The course fee is KES 75,000.00 or USD 1,100.00 exclusive of VAT. The course fees covers the course tuition, training materials, two (2) break refreshments, lunch and study visits. Participants will cater for their travel and accommodation costs.
Payment should be transferred to Tech For Development – T4D account through bank on or before the course starting date.
Send proof of payment to email@example.com
Other related Services
We also offer the services below upon request.
- Magpi Training manual
- Magpi training pdf guide
- Tailor made Magpi training course
- Magpi online training
Kindly contact us via the details below for more information:
Mobile: +254 706 909947